Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mabey Family Nevada Adventure

This last weekend we decided to check out some things that we'd been told were really neat. Basically, we did a LOT of driving! We saw a lot of nothing, horses, and falling down houses. What we saw was pretty cool.

Friday I had to work, but TJ took the kids to Goshute Cave. He says I would have been freaked out since I am extremely afraid heights, and more specifically - falling from them. They hiked up this steep hill, require a rope to get up a cliff into the cave, and they didn't even get into the cave. They got to the mouth, and that's it. TJ will go back when he doesn't have a dog and two kids, and when he has a head lamp and gloves.







Saturday, we decided to go find White Pine County's former county seat - Hamilton. We checked out a pretty cool cemetary - most the people died in the early 1900s. The town itself is a ghost town, as you can see from the pictures. Unfortunately, this once booming mining town, caught fire twice and they just decided to not rebuild it the last time. It was cool, but disappointing at the same time since there weren't may buildings and homes left.






We saw quite a lot of wild horses on our journey. Let me tell you what I've learned about wild horses since I started at the BLM: wild hoses are neato, but they are giant pigs! They eat themselves and everything else out of food. So we do these horse round-ups that upset people all over the country. When I say "upset" I mean calling the office to curse us "upset." These horses that get rounded up so that they will live, get to go to this fancy shmancy horse resort and get lots of food and then get sold to people have to go through this crazy background investigation and prove they can take care of the horses. It's crazy how upset people get, but if they are left to their own devices, they will die.



After a bit more driving and nothing-ness, we came upon Belmont Mill. It was where they milled silver ore. The buildings and equipment are still there are are pretty cool, even though they are falling down.




After even more driving we ran into an old ghost ranch called Green Ranch. It's so pretty there and I was suprised nobody still ranched there until I noticed that the fields had been so over-grazed that nothing was growing. How sad!


After EVEN MORE driving, we came upon this hot spring called Big Spring. It's neat because they are naturally about 80 degrees year round. We'll check them out again when it's warmer.

2 comments:

  1. I wanna come see the wild horses there, but NOT the cliff to the cave! Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a LOT of falling down houses. TJ is brave to take the kids hiking by himself. He's totally crazy. Looks like you guys had a fun time!!!

    ReplyDelete